[rescue] How the fsck do I install gzip from a "depot" file on an HP-UX 10.20 box?

Mike Nicewonger rescue at sunhelp.org
Sun Sep 23 15:59:45 CDT 2001

On Sun, 23 Sep 2001, you wrote:
> I'm closer - it now complains that it can't make a lock file in the
> /var/sp[ool/sw directory (I assume) - the compressed (.Z), uncompressed
> (.depot) and untarred (two directories) of the gzip package are in
> (/var/spool/sw) and I am trying to run swinstall as root...
>
> is that "swinstall -s /path/to/file/filename.with.depot" or "swinstall -s
> /var/spool/sw" ?

OK several questions.

Where did you get the file you are trying to install? If it came from the
"porting centre" you will need to ungzip it. If it came from eleswhere chances
are you do not need to unzip it unless of course specifically told to do so. the
unzip process should leave you with a single file.

I always add the .depot extension to the file if it is not there (just my silly
ways :)

then you would run swinstall with the -s switch you must provide the full path
to the .depot file.

HTH

Mike N