[rescue] duh ... confused over part numbers

James Lockwood rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat Sep 22 16:28:16 CDT 2001

On Sat, 22 Sep 2001, Dan Debertin wrote:

> Okay, this is making me feel stupid. I'm shopping at MemoryX for a
> 600MP memory expansion board. FEH tells me that this will be either
> p/n 501-1767 or 501-1901. Okay, they seem to carry them -- but it's
> part number "X164A":
>
> http://www.memoryx.net/x164a.html
>
> WTF? Where are these odd part numbers coming from ... did Sun change
> its numbering scheme? Is this in fact the same part, or something else
> that I don't want?

The "X" ID's are the Sun option codes.  An option code may include several
part numbers for different items.  This isn't new, they've been doing this
for a long time (an add-on TGX framebuffer would be X322A or X359A or
X7110A, for example).

My FEH doesn't show the option code for the SS600 memory board, but it
could well be the X164.  Why don't you call up MemX and ask, Ken and the
other guys there are quite Sun savvy and will give you the board number if
you ask.

-James