[rescue] Cisco, LAT and SunOS 5

Brian Hechinger rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Sep 21 12:51:14 CDT 2001

> <Hysterical laughter mixed with coughs, wheezes and various thumping sounds>
> And my friends tell me _I_ come up with convoluted ideas...
> <wipes eyes>
> </laughter>

i have this theory.  if it isn't complicated and convoluted, then tiy aren't
trying hard enough. :)

> No, but seriously... I've always had to set the local TERM type manually or
> in the session control .file (whatever it may be).  If anyone knows a better
> way to get by this problem, I'm all ears..

telnet correctly passes TERM when i telnet in from other hosts (even from VMS)
but in this case i don't think there is a TERM that ever gets set (LAT to cisco
which just passes off to telnet, no actual login done on the cisco) to be passed
along.  what i need, is an "exceptions list" where it checks to see where i am
telnetting from, and if i am coming from mole.arkhm.ws to force the TERM since
there is none there.  maybe i could just change the default to something more
sane like vt100 instead of sun and just let it be done that way.  hmmmm.
that's not a bad idea.

-brian