[rescue] Sparcstation 2 help! Please

Mike Hebel rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Sep 20 14:15:15 CDT 2001

DC> But I can certainly recommend Debian.  Much easier to admin and keep up
DC> to date than Redhat.  If I'd known more about Debian when I set the
DC> machine up a year ago I'd have used that.

I would agree with this.  I've loaded several Sparc boxes with Debian
Sparc and it seems to jus come up and run.  It's also the only one
that supports the DBRI audio on the LX boxes.  Of course there are
other things that are slightly better for specific tasks such as
OpenBSD for firewalling, and NetBSD for standalone low-requirement
server jobs.  It all depends on what you want to do with the box.  I
have a SS2 w/64meg and a 450meg hard drive as a firewall at a friend's
house and it seems to stand up to our torture just fine!

About the only thing I have trouble with is configuring printing under
Debian to go to a WinDoze shared printer.  I'm still not understanding
the whole printcap thing...yet. *grin*

Mike Hebel                          mailto:drone8of9 at crosswinds.net

http://drone8of9.crosswinds.net/documents/Mike_Hebel_Current_3.html

http://drone8of9.crosswinds.net/documents/Mike_Hebel_Current_3.doc