[rescue] Sparcstation 2 help! Please

BSD Bob the old greybeard BSD freak rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Sep 19 10:25:42 CDT 2001

> > Anyway, I save up all my old nvram chips and have started to rebattery
> > them.

> Have you ever thought of selling such things to those of us who might not
> have such a steady soldering hand?  I would pay for one that I could
> change the battery on and I am sure others would as well!

I thought someone on the list was already doing that.  Who?

Although it might be fun to do a few, I can't imagine doing it for a biz
of any sort...(:+\\.....

The idea is a good one, though.  The last one I did, I thought of
using one of the standard Radiddio Shackio battery holders for 2 cells.
Add a little velcro patch to it and away you go.  Then any old cells
ought to work.

The main problem is getting the outboard +- battery leads onto the chip
and locking it in place with a little epoxy/superglue/hotglue/etc.
After that, even a 3 fisted baggage smasher could wire up the battery
or some sort of voltage source.

IFF there is enough interest in doing a few, let me check on some parts
availability.  I only have about half a dozen spare dead chips to work
with, and the success rate is only about 75%, even for me.  Sometimes
the file slips and other times the soldering iron sneezes a bit.

Out of curiosity, how many folks would be interested in chips with
replaceable battery holders?  In particular the sun4 and sun4c types
(MT8T02?).

Bob