[rescue] Q: Regarding Cat5 cable/NetGear hubs & Sun HW

Adam Kropelin rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Sep 19 08:05:57 CDT 2001

The DS104 is close, but not quite. It's a 10/100 hub and so it has one
switch point. Whatever 10 Mbps devices you plug in are on one segment
and the 100 Mbps devices are on another. I have one of these on my desk
at work for exactly the same reason you mentioned and I love it. Have
one at home, too.

Netgear is one of my favorite low-cost, low-maintenance (i.e., none)
network equip suppliers. Their NICs are garbage but their hubs and
switches are perfect for a lot of my needs. The sturdy steel case is a
great feature. I just wish more of them had available rack-mount kits.
In many cases where I would normally buy a 16 or 24 port intelligent
switch and set up a few VLANs, I prefer to buy a bunch of small Netgears
for 1/10th the total cost. But then I can't rack-mount them...

--Adam