[rescue] Q: Regarding Cat5 cable/NetGear hubs & Sun HW

Bill Bradford rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Sep 18 21:05:58 CDT 2001

On Tue, Sep 18, 2001 at 09:17:05PM -0400, Ken Hansen wrote:
> Sounds like a plan - it was hanging off a 10 base T hub, and it worked fine
> before, so your advice "makes sense," though I didn't think of it...

Never use autonegotiation with *anything*, if you have a choice.

I'm rather impressed with the Netgear EN104 4-port hub, which they have
on sale at Frys lately for $14.95.  I bought one and put it in my cube at
work today (since they only "give" me two ports, and I have 3 machines to
setup/work on this week).  Between machines (3 machines plugged in, one
uplink port to my wall-jack, which is switched 10/100) on my desk, I get
1132K/sec, which is VERY good for a 10baseT hub (theoretical max, 1megabyte/
sec; I've seen worse performance from *cisco* hubs).

I've got one here at home, and may be getting more eventually, at that
price.  Cant beat em, and they're blue, cute, and the size of a pack of
cigarettes.

I wish they made a 4-port switch (I had their 8-port at one time, and
loved it).

Bill

--
Bill Bradford