[rescue] Q: Need some new batteries for UPSs

Fogg, James rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Sep 17 08:25:43 CDT 2001

> Questions:
>     I can't seem to find a local battery dealer - any ideas
> what I might be
>     missing (did usual search of my phone book, nothing under
> Battery*)?
And you live where? I thought you were in Pennsylvania. There are resources
in Harrisburg that I know of if you are in PA.

>     And finally, is it possible/advisable to "upgrade" capacity when
> replacing
>     the batteries? Nothing major, but maybe take a 400 VA UPS
> to something
>     like 600 va (well, yeah, that's a 50% increase, how about
> a 1250 va UPS
>     to 1400)?

In a word, no.
There is a lot of science that goes on in batteries, not the least of which
is charge rates, etc. These parameters change when the battry capacity or
chemistry changes. Also, a greater capacity battery would be physically
larger. If this list is archived you will find several long threads on
batteries and UPS's.