[rescue] This Just In: HP to buy Compaq

Greg A. Woods rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat Sep 15 23:54:10 CDT 2001

[ On Saturday, September 15, 2001 at 22:45:09 (-0400), G W Adkins wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [rescue] This Just In: HP to buy Compaq
>
> Yes, these guys generate a lot of therms, but they are rated to operate at
> temps of up to 85c, (although I personally try to keep them much, much
> cooler.)

See my other note -- the 85 C is the ideal case temp.  The
case-to-ambient thermal resistance is not zero no matter how big a heat
sink you clamp to it.  In fact it's not even close even with a 2" high
heat sink _and_ 1000 LFM air flow (0.65).  Of course you don't need that
much cooling unless your "ambient" temp (i.e. at the heat-sink fan
intake) is well above average room temp.

The guideline is to design for 40W dissipation, but the low-end of the
family only needs to dissipate 29.2W.

> no, you just run them like a PPro 200, and they just 'do the right thing'.

I've been reading The PPro developer's manual (vol. 1).  it includes
specifications for the "OverDrive(r) Processor Socket".

The OverDrive processor does require VID support on the motherboard and
of course a replacement VRM.

If you don't have a OverDrive capable motherboard you could blow an
OverDrive processor as you'd be feeding it 5vdc where it wants 2.8 or
some such.

There are also some BIOS requirements.

Apparently the EliteGroup Computer Systems P6FX1-A motherboard I have in
my PPro server does indeed support the OverDrive processor, though they
refer to it in the manual as a P6S or P6T.  I will have to consider
upgrading it!  ;-)

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <gwoods at acm.org>     <woods at robohack.ca>