[rescue] This Just In: HP to buy Compaq

G W Adkins rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat Sep 15 22:40:30 CDT 2001

> "Linear Feet Per Minute"
>
> I really don't quite understand how to apply that to air flow though,
> unless perhaps they mean "at the depth of the heat sink"....

Actually it's more appropriate than you might think, since calorie exchange
from the heatsink is determined largely by the surface area of the object
and the difference in temperature between it and the surrounding air, more
air exchanges per minute mean better cooling (of course...).  Exchanges per
minute is a function of air velocity and distance across the object...  Make
a little more sense?  Ultimately, the more familiar CFM divided by enclosed
volume still boils down to air velocity, (i.e. how much time does some
discrete volume of air remain in contact with the surface before being
replaced by cooler air)