[rescue] Interesting SGI rescue opportunity.

Matthew Haas rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Sep 14 07:47:27 CDT 2001

On Thu, 13 Sep 2001, Dan Sikorski wrote:

> > I don't know if that would really be worth it at a price of $70
> > apiece.  If no disk, then you probably need to locate the drive sleds
> > as well.
>
> Um....  to quote the auction...
>
>     * Drive sled, no drive
>
> hence, locating drive sleds would be trivial.

Which comes to the next problem: All 3 sleds in my R4k Indigo have SCSI,
power, and a 2x2 (small, jumper sized) connector. Every Indigo disk I have
seen has an appropriate place in which to plug this.

Every non-SGI disk I have tried to install internally has not been
recognized for one reason or another. (Same disks that would have just
worked GREAT in a SPARC).

I know some disks need to be flashed to support SGI. But what of the
others? And how does one rig up a truly non-SGI SCSI disk on an internal
sled??

If anyone knows, please speak up, I've got a couple disks that I'd love to
install in my Indigo. But from my experience, I'm stuck with the 2Gig
drive that came with my Indigo.

Yes you can run a disk external... SCSI ID 4 - 7, take your pick. (SCSI
host controller is 0, each internal bay from bottom to top is 1, 2, 3-
where 1 is ALWAYS the System disk).

The Indigo is a great machine, don't get me wrong, I love it and use it
everyday as my 'personal' computer in my college dorm, but if you don't
luck out and get certain items from the start (internal disks, and of
course, the ever rare proprietary keyboard/mouse), actually using the
machines in any capacity other than via serial console or network, would
be quite difficult.

Now I haven't read the auction description yet, but are any keyboard/mice
included in the auction? If so, they may just be worth $70+ a piece,
especially if an equally inexpensive means of disk can be had.

Just my $0.02.

-Matthew