[rescue] lanplex 2500

James Sharp rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Sep 13 15:13:47 CDT 2001

On Thu, 13 Sep 2001, Joshua D Boyd wrote:

> I find myself the winner of an ebay auction for a 3com lanplex (aka
> corebuilder) 2500 switch with 2 8port 10baseT and 1 2port FDDI cards.
>
> Is there anything I should know about this?  I'm hoping that I can just
> plug it in and go when it arrives.

They're pretty zippy little switches & FDDI/Ether bridges.  Out of the 15
or so I installed, I only had one act flakey and that just required a
reboot

> 3com has quite a bit of documentation about it.  Apparently it was a $17k

Yup.  And the company I worked for bought 45 of them at just under list
price.

> piece of hardware in 1997.  Quite a difference from what I'm paying for it
> (<$100).  It appears that there is a 100baseTX card available for
> it.  Anyone have a line on getting them?

IIRC, they're kind of scarce, since the Lanplex was disco'd about the time
100BaseTX started picking up.