[rescue] Flying Pigs - OT WIN2K speed

Greg A. Woods rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Sep 10 13:30:23 CDT 2001

[ On Sunday, September 9, 2001 at 22:59:47 (-0400), Kurt Huhn wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [rescue] Flying Pigs - OT WIN2K speed
>
> All kinds of shit that everyone from managers to stock room shleps have
> gotten used to:
> Document Routing

And that's different from a network filesytem how?  Maybe a little bit
of "publishing" support, such as any good web page editor would give?

> Exchange Forms

Usenet-style private groups on NNTP are far superior from what I've
heard....  (though I guess it depends on your p.o.v. -- some people I
know swore up and down that notes was better even though it had very
serious technical flaws to the point where it was almost unmanageable,
and from what I know lotus' version of notes was no better and I can't
imagine anything by M$ being any better either)

> Shared Calendering

Hmmm...  this is one place where there's very little yet in the freeware
world, and the good unix apps are not usually any more open or better.

("Plan" is one that comes close, though it's not yet got anything really
well suited for scheduling -- just shared apppointments and time
tracking.)

> "sticky" notes

where, on the server?  shared?  an idiot-app by the sounds of it.  There
are many many many dozens of similar things for unix....

> full featured Address Book

What's "full featured" mean?  LDAP server with a decent schema?

> physical resource management (like scheduling the use of a company vehicle)

and that's different from calendaring & scheduling how?

> Public Folders

network filesystem?

> Time tracking

done by calendar functions, no?  (Plan does *excellent* time tracking,
with quite good reporting.  KDE's calendar thingy is just missing the
reporting stuff.)

> Customer Resource Management

I'm still not sure what this is, but I'm absolutely certain that
M$-Exchuck probably can't do it, otherwise there wouldn't be a dozen big
software vendors successfully plugging their own CRM stuff.

> Exchange - despite it's problems, is a capable piece of groupware if used to
> it's full potential.

Unix, if used to its full potential, *IS* groupware too!

It's even integrated as long as your programs stick to using simple unix
text files, etc.

I think what makes most PC people all googley-eyed over M$-Exchuck is
that there's never been anything like this for PC users before.  The
best PC people had before was maybe a stupid mickey-mouse mail tool and
some archange network filesystem crap (and maybe shared printing).  Us
Unix types have been doing all of this, and much much much much more for
literally decades now.

This whole silly "groupware" crap is just as dumb and lame as the whole
"drag-and-drop" propoganda of about ten years ago or so.

>  Having used it in the past, I can say that it is an
> unstable and piggish piece of software - but it makes a lot of people's
> lives easier (or more complicated, depending).

I have used unix for two decades now and I can say that it can be a very
stable and lean piece of software, even with lots of silly add-on
applications running on it, and it definitely makes peoples lives easier
and more complicated at the same time!  ;-)

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <gwoods at acm.org>     <woods at robohack.ca>
Planix, Inc. <woods at planix.com>;   Secrets of the Weird <woods at weird.com>