[rescue] Flying Pigs - OT WIN2K speed

Greg A. Woods rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Sep 10 13:05:20 CDT 2001

[ On Sunday, September 9, 2001 at 20:13:02 (-0500), Phil Schilling wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [rescue] Flying Pigs - OT WIN2K speed
>
> if you are looking for an exchange client for *nix try www.bynari.net
> they have a very decent client with all the bells and whistles.

The more I learn about M$-Exchuck's so-called unique features the more I
believe nobody really needs them or even uses them effectively.  There
really are lots of effective "open" and standards-based tools to achieve
the same business requirements.

Bynari's own words, though self-supporting, are a perfect example:

    While email systems became ubiquitous in enterprises of every size,
    they tended heavily toward proprietary architectures and
    protocols. These different proprietary e-mail systems didn't, and
    still don't, work together.

    With the promulgation of the standard Internet mail model, the
    market for proprietary systems has started to shrink in
    size. Customers are asking for a universal messaging system where
    any email client can send and receive email messages and share
    important information regardless of the Mail User Agent (MUA),
    platform or method of connecting to the network or the Internet.

Many many years ago I worked on a large proprietary e-mail system (or
rather on the client side).  It was, as far as we know, one of the first
large client-server systems ever built with PCs and mainframes.  The
company which built it mandated one of the first paperless offices in
North America.  Their customers had to use the system to order services,
and if you got fired you were likely to get your pink slip in e-mail (if
you didn't get escorted out of the building first).  The only printers
were stationed at the front desk and the office manager was instructed
to verify that everything printed on paper was 100% necessary.

The database side was CICS, the interface was programmed 3270 terminal
emulators, and the client side had a basic scripting language allowing
us to write custom apps on the client side to do macro operations, much
like Exchuck's silly little "meeting" junk, address books, and even some
calendaring IIRC (as well as apps specific to their industry).

This was in 1985.

By 1987 I'd discovered Internet standards-based e-mail, conferencing,
etc., and I loathed the day I'd ever worked on proprietary crap.

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <gwoods at acm.org>     <woods at robohack.ca>
Planix, Inc. <woods at planix.com>;   Secrets of the Weird <woods at weird.com>