[rescue] RE: Sparc 1, 2, 4, 5

Paul Sladen rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Sep 10 04:10:21 CDT 2001

On Sun, 9 Sep 2001, Robert Novak wrote:

> On Sun, 9 Sep 2001, Ken Hansen wrote:
>
> > I'd go with the SS/4 myself - an SS/1 or SS/2 could do it, but the
> > SS/4 has room to grow (more RAM, faster built-in SCSI, etc) - SS/4 RAM
> > is about $15/32 Megs at www.supersellers.net...
>
> If you plan to expand a bit, you might want to look for a 70MHz or 110MHz
> SS5--virtually the same performance, but you get more SBus options and two
> drive bays. But given a choice of 1, 2, or 4, yeah, I'd lean toward 4. Any
> of them will do, but some are more future-inhibited than the others :)

<IMHO> The SS4 has got to be the least expandable thing ever. </IMHO>

A Sparc5 would be overkill (put it on your desk instead); So my
recommendation is the Sparc2 -- my favourite machine ever, and only resently
retired to masq/proxy/dns/dhcp/mail/web duties.

Moral:  stick 64MB in it, a bigger disk and don't run Solaris on it!  Try:

  Debian   www.debian.org

apt-get install ssh ipchains squid bind dhcpd postfix apache dns-utils

Paul