[rescue] RE: Sparc 1, 2, 4

Robert Novak rescue at sunhelp.org
Sun Sep 9 22:07:40 CDT 2001

On Sun, 9 Sep 2001, Ken Hansen wrote:

> I'd go with the SS/4 myself - an SS/1 or SS/2 could do it, but the
> SS/4 has room to grow (more RAM, faster built-in SCSI, etc) - SS/4 RAM
> is about $15/32 Megs at www.supersellers.net...

One thing to note is that the SS4 stops at 160MB of RAM (5 dimm slots). Of
course, SS1 stops at 64MB and SS2 stops at 128MB, so it's still a step in
the right direction. You can use a 1" SCA disk inside, rather than IDC50
disks... another bonus.

If you plan to expand a bit, you might want to look for a 70MHz or 110MHz
SS5--virtually the same performance, but you get more SBus options and two
drive bays. But given a choice of 1, 2, or 4, yeah, I'd lean toward 4. Any
of them will do, but some are more future-inhibited than the others :)

--Rob

        "And it's been a long December and there's reason to believe
           Maybe this year will be better than the last...." -- counting crows