[rescue] serial ports under Solaris 8

Greg rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat Sep 8 16:06:58 CDT 2001

Larry Snyder wrote:

> I'm told there's a limitation as to how fast you can wiggle the
> RS232 handshake lines under 8, something like 3S per transition.
> This makes things interesting trying to drive an X10 firecracker
> interface dongle, as each command takes about a minute to run.
> Anyone know of a workaround?  I didn't see anything in the tuning
> manual.

[Follow-ups directed to the sunhelp list]

To ensure that modems actually hang up when they are supposed to
amongst other things, the serial drivers enforce that DTR remain low
for 3 seconds. You can tune that, see the "DTR Delay Problems"
section of this page:

   http://www.stokely.com/unix.serial.port.resources/tutorials.html

Celeste has one of the most useful collection of information if you're
doing anything with serial ports on Unix, bookmark her site:

   http://www.stokely.com/unix.serial.port.resources/index.html

-greg