[rescue] Re: Another possibly unanswerable question about AXI memory

Robert Novak rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Sep 5 21:01:33 CDT 2001

On Wed, 5 Sep 2001, Zach Malone wrote:

> Last time I checked Crucial, I believe their site listed the AXi as only
> supporting up to 128mb memory modules for a maximum of 1024mb.  Could that
> be your problem?

Nope. The system will take 256MB modules in 11-bit Column Address, in
selected banks. I am kinda wondering if there's something strange about
the manual (I'm looking at page C-19 of the 805-3158-03 05/1999
SPARCengine Ultra AXi OEM Technical Manual from sun.com). I seem to
remember the Tatung U10 clones having a different layout, so maybe I just
put them in the wrong bank.

As far as Crucial is concerned...

http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.asp?model=SPARCengine+Ultra+Axi&x=11&y=11

They have 64MB, 128MB, and 256MB modules. I have a pair of 256MB modules
in here from another vendor, so I know they work (and I just saw Mike N's
response to that effect as well).

I also see that the OEM manual says 60ns only, and these are 50ns. But I
can't imagine that being the problem.

Maybe I should just sell the 256MB sticks and buy a pile of "128MB" 256MB
sticks. :) Or just settle for 768MB right now. Yeah, as my gf says, my
life is hard. :-)

--Rob

        "And it's been a long December and there's reason to believe
           Maybe this year will be better than the last...." -- counting crows