[rescue] This Just In: HP to buy Compaq

Greg A. Woods rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Sep 4 12:27:59 CDT 2001

[ On Tuesday, September 4, 2001 at 09:37:16 (-0400), Kevin Loch wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [rescue] This Just In: HP to buy Compaq
>
> Both companies make pretty good x86 servers too.

I don't know how you can say that.  Have you looked at each?  Have you
looked "under the hood" in each?  HP's x86 servers are almost infinitely
better engineered than compaq's (pre DEC, that is).  Compaq are infamous
for using non-standard stuff.  Sure sometimes the non-standard stuff is
a bit innovative, but their lock-in with M$ means it's still pretty much
useless.  Compaq have gotten a bit better in the last few years, but
there are still quirky things about even their best servers.

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <gwoods at acm.org>     <woods at robohack.ca>
Planix, Inc. <woods at planix.com>;   Secrets of the Weird <woods at weird.com>