[rescue] New guy with a SS5...

Fogg, James rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Sep 4 08:30:23 CDT 2001

Ooooohh, SS5-170. I *love* mine. Highly recommended. I started with an
SS5-70 and swapped the motherboard for a 170. Much difference and happiness.
The 170 motherboard is fully compatible with all the other SS5 models.
Solaris 8 runs respectably on the 170, but needs lots of ram and disk (as
with any system). As far as a CPU swap goes, It wont work. The 170 has a
built-in fan on the heat sink and the moboard provides power for it (and the
CPU isn't socketed). There appear to be other changes in the moboard too.