[rescue] Thanks: Advice on 10/100 switches

Scott Newell rescue at sunhelp.org
Sun Sep 2 09:03:02 CDT 2001

>For the record, the cheap cat5000 switches I was offered were cheap for a
>reason, does anyone have any experience with a network device that's been
>subject to "conductive dust"?

I've had some PeeCee hardware (a 386 emulating paper tape connected to a NC
machine, with a PDP-8 as the controller!) that's been loaded up with plasma
dust from being mounted near a large turret punch with a plasma cutter.
Seems like we used compressed air to blow all the crud off the boards, but
an ultrasonic cleaner might be a better plan.

>Also, FWIW, I do find the occasional off-topic discussion on the list quite
>interesting, I don't have the time to read the geeks list though.

Me too.

newell