[rescue] Bumping Solaris into 64-bit mode on an old PROM...

Tugrul Galatali rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat Sep 1 19:58:31 CDT 2001

	I have a Tatung U2 with an old PROM revision (3.7). I had contacted
Tatung about a new PROM chip, and they said it was available for $100. Since
I had no pressing need for it, I left it for later. But yesterday, before I
installed a fresh copy of Solaris 8 7/01 on it (my first install got a bit
messy), I decided to try Linux on the box. It took a few reconfigs, but I got
a Linux/2.4.9/sparc64 kernel built and booted. I don't intend to keep running
Linux on it (first time I tried launching the X server it locked the machine...
probably better if I turn off DRM, but I'd like some 3D accel for screen savers
:), but it got me thinking, anyway to make Solaris boot 64-bit on an
unsupported config like my PROM?

	There are some simulations my friends are running that would benefit
from 64-bit support, especially after the trouncing a Athlon 1.1Ghz gave this
300Mhz U2 in datasets that fit into 256MB. The U2 has a gig of ram so its still
useful =P

	If not I'm going to wait for Lily from comdisco to drop me a line when
she gets some U60 bases. I rather spend 300-400$ on that than a $100 PROM (I
assume the price based the price off of what loaded U60s sold for last time
around) and get UW SCSI as well.

	Tugrul Galatali