[rescue] OS upgrade for my SS600

Dan Debertin rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat Sep 1 18:01:07 CDT 2001

Now that I've ditched my SM100's, I'm again considering doing the
patch-the-kernel trick for getting Solaris 6 or 7 to run on my
SS600. I really can't afford to botch this up, though, so I need to
know about a few things before I decide:

1) I have expansion memory boards, and i had heard that the VME bus
   was basically unsupported past 2.5.1. However, I've heard some of
   you say that expansion memory isn't accessed via the VME bus, but
   rather through the "P2" bus (anyone care to elaborate?). Does this
   mean that expansion memory will or won't work with 2.{6,7}?

2) I have an SES/B with the SBus expansion card & cable. This is
   basically (as far as I understand) an xbox, but without the
   additional SCSI drive bays, and that draws *only* power from the
   VME bus. So it seems to me that this board should work fine under
   later OS releases, right?

3) Any other gotchas to doing this that I should know about?

Thanks,

Dan
--
Dan Debertin