[rescue] printing pdf files from IPX

Scott Newell rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Oct 26 09:28:16 CDT 2001

Ok, I've got this .pdf file on my winblows machine.  It was edited with
Emacs, typeset with Latex 2e, and the pdf was created with dvips +
Distiller (according to Acrobat general info).  Printing under NT to my
Laserjet II (PCL, not Postscript) results in all kinds of font nastiness,
such as the lower case letter e's missing the horizontal bar.  It's pretty
disgusting.  I think it's got something to do with fonts and non-Postscript
printers, since I've seen this before with other pdf files, usually ones
that have been converted from ghostscript.

I have a headless IPX, running OpenBSD.  It's on the network, and I can
copy files from the Sun to the printer using smbclient under samba.  What
would be the best way to get from the pdf file to PCL?

newell