[rescue] Just a thought - what would be a good starter SPARC system these days?

Brian Hechinger rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Oct 24 10:56:02 CDT 2001

> yes, I have a sunblade 100 on my desk, but 99% of system admin tasks here
> are done either through telnet/ssh sessions or an Aura 9600 baud serial
> console server.  The last time I used X for actually adminning a box
> (versus running Netscpae, etc) was using the Veritas GUI about a week ago.

we never got our serial console box at half working, it's a long story, i don't
wanna talk about it, but....

at half, when it got down to the nitty gritty, i was standing in front of the
machines with a laptop and a serial cable.  so X would have been of no use to
me whatsoever.  this is usually the case though, especially when your serial
console servers DO work, you need console access a lot of times to take care
of the "real" problems.  VNC isn't going to do it for you, you must use that
serial port.  either with a laptop and serial line, or like bill here with an
actual functioning terminal server (lucky bastard)

when the machines goes all wrong bill, will you be using that Veritas GUI to
get the machine back up, or will you be using command line?

-brian