[rescue] Tricking DNS

Patrick Giagnocavo rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Oct 22 08:49:43 CDT 2001

Bill Bradford wrote:

> >Is there an easy way to preload a caching DNS (standard Solaris 7 one) with
> >a bunch of addresses, without setting up zone files and pretending to be the
> >real DNS for the domains involved?
>
> Personally, I dont know of a way to "pre-load" a cache...

Um, the one question that needs to be answered is "how many"?

If you know of the hostnames or domains to be cached, how tough would it
be to write a small shell script that would loop over a text file and
issue an nslookup for each host?  If you want to cache an entire domain,
you could perhaps pull the entire list of hostnames (though most people
have since locked that part down) via the right DNS query.

It might mean a lot of small processes get forked, which could bog the
down server for a minute or two, but that shouldn't be too much of a
problem.

If you wanted to you could even automate the process if you logged DNS
requests for a while and used that to generate a top ten percent list of
the DNS lookups.

Cordially

Patrick Giagnocavo
patrick at zill.net