[rescue] Tricking DNS

Kurt Huhn rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Oct 22 07:13:01 CDT 2001

> Look at his question again:
>
> >Is there an easy way to preload a caching DNS (standard Solaris 7 one)
with
> >a bunch of addresses, without setting up zone files and pretending to be
the
> >real DNS for the domains involved?

Be assured - I read it a couple of times before responding.  I figgered a
volunteered answer that didn't strictly adhere to the specificities of the
question was better than "I dunno" or no response.  At any rate, there is
*no* way to fool a caching-only name server into giving out wrong or
customized info, unless you seriously hack the source code.  The suggestion
I submitted will save him a *lot* of time trying to find a workaround.

Here's another suggestion - in your firewall rules, insert a redirect rule
that takes all traffic destined for those addresses and redirects it to
localhost, the corp website, or whatever.

Time to think outside the box on this one.

Kurt