[rescue] Sun-HOWTO

Ken Hansen rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Oct 18 04:58:02 CDT 2001

See my follow-up post on DocBook. (I am for it)

I said malleable, not useful ;^)

I was thinking "pure" text could be worked with
without having to filter out any tags...

XML, or a deviant/derivation would be best, but my
concenr was the learning curve (not steep, but
certainly much higher than plain text.

Ken

--- David Cantrell <david at cantrell.org.uk> wrote:
> Ken Hansen <n2vip at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Are we publishing a book or filling a web site
> with
> > content?
> >
> > straight text is the most malleable format, IMHO
>
> I beg to differ.  Plain text does not contain any
> structural markup.  In
> a large document, consistent structure is vital,
> both for websites and
> for books.  HTML done correctly is suitable, but IMO
> DocBook and TeX are
> *more* suitable, as it is much less easy to break
> out of the structure
> and let presentation triumph over content.
>
> Seeing that Bill has vetoed TeX, I guess we're left
> with a choice of
> DocBook or DocBook.
>
> --
> David Cantrell | david at cantrell.org.uk |
> http://www.cantrell.org.uk/david
>
> If you save all your money for three years, you'll
> be able to afford this
> new computer.  If, however, you blow all your money
> on poker, booze and
> loose women - you'll still be able to afford it in
> three years.
>
>  -- anon, on Usenet

=====
Ken