[rescue] Sun-HOWTO

Bill Bradford rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Oct 16 19:36:22 CDT 2001

On Tue, Oct 16, 2001 at 08:04:32PM -0400, Mike Dombrowski wrote:
> >  c.  Where's the compiler?
> >   I.  How to get/install GCC
> Also, what packages are needed to get gcc working, the libraries,
> etc.

Just the gcc package, last time I installed it.

> >   II.  Forte personal free license
> What is this? Sun is giving away their compilers now?

You can get a "personal use" license or 30-day evaluation keys.

> >  c.  (optional) compiling XFree86 on Solaris/SPARC
> What does this get you/how does it work? I'm kinda disgusted with
> Sun's X, all I want is a clean install with Blackbox + KDE. I was
> going to try it out on my latest Solaris out but chickened out at the
> last minute.

Why disgusted?  I've never had any problems using stuff on top of
Sun's X... the only time I ran XFree was when I had 8-bit systems
and needed a bit "leaner" X server.

Bill

--
Bill Bradford