[rescue] RS/6000??

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Oct 15 20:47:31 CDT 2001

ssandau at bath.tmac.com writes:

>Do I need a monitor and keyboard for an RS/6000, or can I just hook up a
>VT100 and null modem cable like a SPARC? Or is that too general a
>question?

VT100 works fine. There's something stupid about function keys... I
think it will take an [esc]n when it says it wants function key n,
something like that. Fucking full-screen install software, bleah.
The console serial port is probably not DB25, hopefully you'll get
that weird cable. The early ones used a weird connector for external
SCSI. Make sure it has ethernet. 32-bit MCA ethernet cards are
obscenely expensive on the used market.

>The RS/6000 I was looking at on eBay appears to be a desktop style (a
>7011-250??). There's also a 59H which the seller tells me is
>23"x25"x14". (Now that's a computer! Tho, not quite as much as the
>PDP-10 I worked on in college...) Sounds a little like the 3B2s that the
>Navy office I work in sometimes used to have. I constantly offered to
>take one when they tossed 'em, but they have to DRMO that stuff (dispose
>of in Navy channels). *sigh*

I haven't got a clue about IBM model numbers.  I think the 7xxx number
is the case, and the rest is the guts they shoved in, but I don't know
what any specific models are.

Mine was originally a nice 5' thousand pound box, but I had to abandon
the cabinet the last time I moved. Wouldn't make the stairs of the new
apartment. :-( It's spread out across a couple of short cabinets now.

>Shipping for the 59H would be more than the cost of the unit itself!
>Actually, now that I think of it, *most* of my eBay computer purchases
>are like that... Hmmmmm...

Yeah, that's standard. Our PDP-10 was free plus a $300 truck rental,
if I remember correctly.

-------- David Fischer --------- dave at cca.org --------- www.cca.org --------
-- I make them out of clay and bring them to life with a blood sacrifice. --