[rescue] OT: mozilla on IRIX

Dave McGuire rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Oct 15 13:55:44 CDT 2001

On October 15, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> > I am curious if you have seen any weird color flashing under Mozilla, or
> > maybe that is just a result of the program being slower, to the extent
> > that X commands being sent are not faster than sight.
>
> "weird color flashing"?????
>
> Do you mean _normal_ colormap swapping?  I.e. the feature which makes it
> possible to use many applications simultaneously on an 8-bpp display?
>
> If so then it's unlikely anyone's seen it with Mozilla unless they've
> gone to the extent of figuring out how to make it work properly.  By
> default Mozilla will only use the standard color map and will refuse to
> install its own color map even if that means what it renders is
> basically invisible or unreadable!

  I'm running it on a 24bpp display.  What I se, and what I sassume
Patrick was talking about, happens primarily during redraws.  The
rendered page seems to appear in woefully incorrect colors at first,
then is overwritten by the correct stuff.  It seems to me like
something that would be solved by a little judicious application of
backing store.

     -Dave

--
Dave McGuire