[SunRescue] Completely useless book

Chris Byrne rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat Mar 31 15:42:07 CST 2001

So I was in the local B&N the other day (there are actually 2 B&N 2 Borders,
and a Half Price books in my town) and I saw what looked to be a potentially
interesting book "Solaris Administration, a Beginners guide"

Now I've been administering Solaris for a while, but most of my admin skills
are self taught so I figured "What the heck, I'm sure it coudltn hurt"

I was wrong.

This book is painfully bad. It isn't for beginners, or for dummies, it's for
complete frikken morons. Not only that but there are several areas where it
is just plain wrong.

The book shows all of it scripting examples in bash.

It supposedly has sections on mail setup and dns setup but doesnt include
any useful configuration info or instructions but instead tells you how to
use elm and netscape mail locally, and what the resolv.conf file is.

These are just a few of the many examples why you should not buy or
recommend this book to anyone, even a total beginner. Just get Solaris 8 a
complete reference (the only good recommendation this book makes)

Chris Byrne