[SunRescue] Dont feel like running BIND for 10 systems

Greg A. Woods rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat Mar 31 14:29:57 CST 2001

[ On Saturday, March 31, 2001 at 11:18:12 (-0800), Chris Byrne wrote: ]
> Subject: RE: [SunRescue] Dont feel like running BIND for 10 systems
>
> I wasnt saying I would (or rather wouldnt) run a nameserver on 10 systems, I
> was saying that I didnt feel like setting up a single nameserver just to
> provide services for 10 systems.

Ah, I see what you mean.

I can't imagine not having my own primary nameserver for my domains,
even if it meant I'd have to run a server just to do that!  ;-)

However if you're running any more than a couple of systems on a LAN
that's Internet connected then you probably should be running a local
caching nameserver, and it should be authoritative for all the locally
used zones (but of course no caching server should ever be queried by
the public as an authoritative nameserver -- i.e. caching servers should
never be listed in any NS records!).  This is especially true if any of
those systems are providing services of any kind to the Internet (even
if you're the only one who uses those services).

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <gwoods at acm.org>      <robohack!woods>
Planix, Inc. <woods at planix.com>; Secrets of the Weird <woods at weird.com>