[SunRescue] OT: dual PPro mb's...

Cyrus M. Reed rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Mar 29 23:26:34 CST 2001

On Thu, 29 Mar 2001, Greg A. Woods wrote:

> With only 256KB cache they are *NOT* going to out-perform any 500MHz
> Pentium-II or similar, especialy not with any older linux or FreeBSD
> which can only get about 50% or less extra power out of the 2nd CPU.

Don't forget that the cache runs at the full speed of the processor, not
half like the PII chips.  I'm running a dual PPro 200 system as my main
home desktop (which I've done for almost 3 years now), and it
"feels" faster than the PII 450 machine I have access to at school.  Of
course those run NT, and mine runs Linux...  That said, sounds like I
should consider upgrading to the 2.4 kernel, so it can be even better. :)

-Cyrus