[SunRescue] OT: dual PPro mb's...

Joshua D. Boyd rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Mar 29 23:16:08 CST 2001

On Thu, 29 Mar 2001, Greg A. Woods wrote:

> > On Ebay, dutch auction for TYAN dual Ppro motherboards, $100 ea with
> > CPU's.  Tempting to build a low-end linux box... :-)
> >
> > http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1225006475
>
> With only 256KB cache they are *NOT* going to out-perform any 500MHz
> Pentium-II or similar, especialy not with any older linux or FreeBSD
> which can only get about 50% or less extra power out of the 2nd CPU.

Why would someone run an older linux on it?  BTW, in many tasks, 2.2 can
fully use the CPU.  The main short coming is the TCP/IP stack.  I'm
assuming that he would want to be settng up the machine as a server, so
that is a big limitation.  2.4 is much better, and if you have a recent
installation (say Debian 2.2), then upgrading is a cinch.  I'm running 2.4
on my SMP workstation and haven't had a spot of trouble.  I haven't gotten
around to upgrading my servers yet.  Might never get around to it if they
keep working without requiring reinstalls.

--
Joshua Boyd