[SunRescue] speakeasy.net

Scott Norwood rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Mar 29 16:09:40 CST 2001

On Thu, 29 Mar 2001, Jonathan Katz wrote:

> I've heard lots of good things about speakeasy.net out of folks in the
> Chicago area. I've heard lots of bad things about speakeasy.net from
> folks who live in other parts of the country (Texas, etc.) Contact me
> off-list and I'll put you in contact w/ folks.

I have 192k routed SDSL service from them here in Virginia, using the
NYC POP.  I switched from Flashcom (DSL provider from hell) in December.

I've been mostly happy with the service, with the exception of major
routing problems this weekend in NYC.  Generally, the latency is pretty
good (50-150ms for most US sites), and reliability has been generally
good.  Their customer service people are generally clueful, although
(as others have said) their hold times on the phone are unreasonably
long and email responses take about 24 hours.

I'd say that Speakeasy is probably the least-bad national DSL provider,
based on word-of-mouth, but that doesn't mean that they are without
problems.

- Scott