[SunRescue] Leasing Employees

Gregory Leblanc rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Mar 29 00:25:26 CST 2001

On 29 Mar 2001 00:51:25 -0500, Michael Free wrote:
> My only problem with finding any job, _anywhere_ is that it's hard to even
> get my foot in the door for an interview when I have nothing to stick on a
> resume.

Practice writing them, you'll find something to say.

> I can build a PC from parts in 15 minutes flat....but no A+

I got an A+ cert straight out of high school, right when they introduced
win95 on the exam.  Took me maybe a couple of hours, and the test was
pretty trivially easy, and at that point, I was a good hardware tech,
but not a great one (I'm much better than good now, having been doing it
for 2.5 years).  Get the cert, it's easy, and worth the couple hundred
that it might cost you.

> got basic networking skills, some say advanced.....no certification

I'm working on a CCNA now, but egads are the study guides boring, and
the terminology useless.  :-)

> got digital logic design training, college level......no degree
> i can change head gaskets and rebuild trannys....no ASE cert
> tought myself basic, C, fortran, perl, unix script, lalala...no proof
>
> I'm stuck :)

If you want to code, the -easy- way to get "proof" is to hack on some
free software project in your free time.  Read their mailing lists, find
some easy tasks, and start there.  Submit a bunch of patches to the easy
fixes that nobody has gotten around to until you know the code, and the
other developers.  Then get yourself a CVS account, and do some bigger
hacking.  If you really can code, you should be able to show them, and
contribute some real code.  You'll be able to say "see that code there?
I wrote that." when you get to an interview.

    Greg