[SunRescue] re: [OT] Reliable net access in the boonies

Chris Byrne rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Mar 28 23:33:12 CST 2001

I'm lucky enough to live in the second most wired place on the planet (the
stretch of east coast between central Maryland and northern VA is of course
the most wired. Thank you NSA ;-).

Most apartment complexes around here ofter some type of built in high speed
access, usually a DSL provider in a local CO. I'm even more lucky in that my
complex has something way better. We have two OC3's coming into our complex,
divied out to the phonelines as 1.5Mb SVC's

My latency to the nearest major node (MAE west usually, but PacBell has some
weird peering arrangements) is almost always <50ms, I usually see real world
speeds of between 600 and 800k synchronus out to the actual net, and the
full 1.5mb up to the head end of my provider.

If I ever have to move I'll probably go through withdrawal. Yes we are the
houshold that transfer 60+ files from napster at the same time ;-)

 Chris Byrne