[SunRescue] re: [OT] Reliable net access in the boonies

Jonathan Katz rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Mar 28 22:58:36 CST 2001

On Wed, Mar 28, 2001 at 05:43:46PM -0800, James Lockwood wrote:
> For being able to take the setup anywhere in the lower 48, I could.  It
> would have to be a business class service, though, with uptime
> committments, better uplink speed, and a routed IP block.
>
> The residential service just doesn't measure up to my standards.

For $50/mo I'm in.

A while back I was thinking of dropping a box
(read router) in at mae-west or at paix-- if I could find folks to go
in with me. Everyone would be responsible for their line costs or
"virtual route" to my router at the co-lo site plus a small fee to cover
the big expense of co-location there. Most places you can run a "empty"
two-wire copper feed to your local CO for $20-$60/mo-- drop in your own
DSL equipment at the CO and at home, (dsl router at home, dsl to oc-3
at the CO... you could effectively use a dsl router and a SS5 w/ ATM card)
then get a friend at a fibre provider (uunet/qwest/mfs) to carve you a
(small) PVC to "my" box at paix. I only would have to pay for one fibre
drop from mfs/qwest/whoever to my box there, and "boom" we have our own
fast ISP.

Since paix is too much money, and www.indyx.com is a lot closer to
where I live... except indyx.com is gone... *shrug* gotta do some
research there.