[SunRescue] Upper limit for a nice Ultra-1 set...

Chris Byrne rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Mar 27 14:58:15 CST 2001

>Now these are being sold out another part of Sun, but they really expect to
>(and have, I can only assume) sell these systems at these prices.
>
>Ken

Actually they don't usually.

It is extremely rare for a regular Sun customer to buy from Sun at the
listed retail price. Most regular customers either purchase from a reseller
with a good discount, or have a direct purchase agreement with Sun, again
for a good discount (up to 40% in some cases).

You only have to buy two machines to get a discount from some resellers, or
even promise to probably buy two machines sometime in the future, especially
if you do it at the end of a quarter when the sales critters are trying to
inflate their numbers for quota and bonus.

Fomr what I have been told by sources in Sun, most of the refurb machines
are sold either to customers who have large installed bases of the machines
already (thus they probably have a discount agreement) of are auctioned in
an authorized sun auction or somilar back-channel means.

I'm convinced the only reason they set the price that high is to give their
sales people something to work with on the discount.

Chris Byrne