[SunRescue] Re: rescue digest, Vol 1 #1105 - 18 msgs

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Sun Mar 25 13:54:29 CST 2001

wlewis at mailbag.com writes:

>Then again, my idea of ideal hardware is an Xerox D-machine or a
>Symbolics UX-1200 VME board for a Sun box(I'd damn near do anything for
>one... Anyone here got one for sale???). Good as *nix is, the real Lisp
>Machines blow it completely out of the water. To me, the best DEC is/was
>a PDP-10 running Interlisp...  ;'p

I've never seen a Symbolics VME board, though I had a suspicion such
things existed. All of their stand-alone computers were nubus though,
right?

I think it's odd that two of the most famous lisp environments were
on PDP-10 and Symbolics hardware, both of which are 36-bit, but the
word size is used for *completely* different reasons. Weird coincidence.

-- david fischer -- dave at cca.org -- www.cca.org -- Cthulhu told me to. --