[SunRescue] Am I the only guy here who like VMS?

Dave McGuire rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat Mar 24 23:56:44 CST 2001

On March 24, Chris Byrne wrote:
> Lots of us here have (or have had) vaxen, including myself, and it seems
> that most of you are running net-BSD on them. Am I the only guy here who
> actually thinks VMS was pretty cool? Ok it's networking was irritating, but
> in terns of file services, print services, directory services etc... I think
> it did a pretty good job.
>
> Ok, networking was, as I said irritating unless you drank the DEC coolaid,
> and the security was terrible in the default configuration (anyone remember
> the NASA worm?) but overall I thought VMS was a pretty good system.
>
> Am I just crazy here, or is it that no-one still has VMS OS tapes?

  VMS *IS* (not was; it's a current product) pretty damn cool.  It's a
kitchen-sink operating system in which they thought of *everything*.
I especially like the underlying workings of DCL and the command
tables.  And the help system can't be beat.

  No, friend, you're not alone.  VMS rocks!

          -Dave McGuire