Who's is bigger? was RE: [SunRescue] Re: NetApps?

Patrick Giagnocavo rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Mar 22 16:55:35 CST 2001

On Thu, Mar 22, 2001 at 08:14:35PM -0000, jwbirdsa at picarefy.picarefy.com wrote:
>    Actually, they're only about 150 pounds, but that's bad enough. Regular
> Eagles are ~400M, and Super Eagles are ~600M.
>
>    Since I can get a drive with more than ten times the storage of the
> whole lot (six Eagles and one Super) put together for less than $100 and
> it fits into my pocket and does not require half the house's power capacity
> to make a sound like being inside a jet engine, you can understand why
> they're not in service. I've been trying to give them away, but without
> too much luck so far. The Computer Garage fellow expressed interest, but
> that fizzled out. Maybe I should poke him again.

Another possibility  you could sell them by the pound to an electronics scrap buyer.

I used to own three of these myself, they sucked power like you wouldn't
believe, made a lot of noise and were really cool :-) .

I liked the ability to write-protect the drives by flicking the switch on
the front.

Question:  the platters were 12 or 13 inches across, right?  What was the
RPM of the disk, and what was the areal density of the magnetic media?  This
would tell you how it would actually compare in sequential reads vs. a 3
inch platter spinning at higher RPMs.

I know that a 5.25 inch 5400 rpm drive can stream data as quickly as a 3.5
inch 7200 rpm, since the difference in RPM is made up for by the larger
diameter (ie, the speed at the head itself is higher, at least on the outer
rim of the platter).

Cordially

Patrick Giagnocavo
patrick at zill.net