[SunRescue] any 3B2 users out there?

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Mar 21 21:43:58 CST 2001

woods at weird.com writes:

>[ On Wednesday, March 21, 2001 at 18:08:29 (EST), dave at cca.org wrote: ]
>> Subject: Re: [SunRescue] any 3B2 users out there?
>>
>> A 3B2/300 (entry level) running SVR3.2 (circa mid-80s, if I'm not mistaken?)
>> certainly didn't have that problem. I used to do 2Kx2K bitmap manipulations
>> on mine, which had 2 meg of ram. It was *definately* swapping. :-)

>It was probably still just paging, albiet heavily -- at least unless you
>were also running a couple of instances of emacs and unpacking a small
>newsfeed at the same time...  :-)

Arg - that's what I meant! :-)

ie: I had single processes using more virtual memory than I had physical
ram.

>> That's an interesting question though - I don't know when AT&T caught up
>> with BSD on the paging front.

>AT&T beat the living daylights out of BSD on the demand-paging VM front
>way back in the late 1980's, and of course BSD as released by CSRG never
>really caught up again until 4.4BSD.  The biggest feature AT&T added was
>this nifty feature called "copy-on-write".  BSD had vfork(), and indeed
>vfork() can still save some time in some circumstances even with
>copy-on-write, but still....

I remember talking about copy-on-write when we were running 4.3BSD on
an 11/750 at school. Are you sure it wasn't in there?

>Eventually with 4.4BSD the CSRG folks picked up the Mach-2.x VM and
>re-hacked its internal interfaces to their liking.  It's not a bad VM
>system, and nicely portable, but not all that great for production
>uses (it was never fully debugged and would never handle overload
>gracefully).

Which touches on a subject I can never get a decent answer on: where
can I get a free copy of Mach with some sort of unix environment on
it for a sparc? Old versions are fine.

-- david fischer -- dave at cca.org -- www.cca.org -- Cthulhu told me to. --