[SunRescue] Re: Re: NetApps?

Robert Novak rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Mar 21 20:23:51 CST 2001

I thought I heard a "Jonathan Katz" say:

> Greg pointed out:
> > When the sales guys came out I talked about performance with the
> > engineer that we had them drag along, and it looks like the biggest
> > bottleneck on these devices is clearly the ethernet.  Unfortunately,
> > their network adapter prices are almost as ridiculous as the prices
> > from Sun.  :-(
>
> At least for the PCI Gigabit Ethernet it's the same ethernet card-- OEM
> from our friends at Alteon.

Good use for those old gigE cards that Sun doesn't support in sol7/sol8.

Anyone know what 10/100 cards they use? I am not sure I'd go third-party
for a production box, but if I ever find a netapp for home I ain't paying
$2k for a quad card that I might already have.

--Rob

        "And it's been a long December and there's reason to believe
           Maybe this year will be better than the last...." -- counting crows