[SunRescue] any 3B2 users out there?

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Mar 21 17:08:29 CST 2001

mcguire at neurotica.com writes:

>On March 20, dave at cca.org wrote:
>> >  I'm not sure a NetBSD port would be possible.  I remember reading
>> >somewhere that the 3B2 architecture MMU doesn't support paging, which
>> >I believe is something all of the BSDs would require at a very basic
>> >level.  Anyone else have more info about this?
>>
>> Neah. 3B2s (WE32000 & friends (seperate MMU & FPU)) definately page.

>  They do?  Cool, I stand corrected.  Was it just SysV, then, that had
>the swapping/paging limitation?  I remember that one couldn't run
>emacs, for example, unless the process could all fit in memory at once.

A 3B2/300 (entry level) running SVR3.2 (circa mid-80s, if I'm not mistaken?)
certainly didn't have that problem. I used to do 2Kx2K bitmap manipulations
on mine, which had 2 meg of ram. It was *definately* swapping. :-)

That's an interesting question though - I don't know when AT&T caught up
with BSD on the paging front.

-- david fischer -- dave at cca.org -- www.cca.org -- Cthulhu told me to. --