[SunRescue] any 3B2 users out there?

Greg A. Woods rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Mar 21 00:44:50 CST 2001

[ On Tuesday, March 20, 2001 at 23:36:49 (-0500), Dave McGuire wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [SunRescue] any 3B2 users out there?
>
>   They do?  Cool, I stand corrected.  Was it just SysV, then, that had
> the swapping/paging limitation?  I remember that one couldn't run
> emacs, for example, unless the process could all fit in memory at once.

UNIX System V comes in many releases.

I believe UNIX System V Release 2 Version 2 was the first commercial
AT&T release to provide demand paged virtual memory (though some
references claim 2.4), and did so on both the DEC VAX and AT&T 3B
machines (while at the same time still supporting swapping too).

Perhaps you're thinking of the 7th Edition, or even System III, on PDP's
and the like where the best you could do was have a model that supported
separate instruction and data space and thus make use of a full 128KB!

(FYI 3BSD was the first major UNIX release to support demand paging VM)

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <gwoods at acm.org>      <robohack!woods>
Planix, Inc. <woods at planix.com>; Secrets of the Weird <woods at weird.com>