[SunRescue] Re: New SunBlade

Ken Hansen rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Mar 21 10:27:29 CST 2001

Yes.

;^P

Sorry, actually, most sites that certify older (or previously current, if you prefer) platforms for vertical applications not only certify the OS/Software but also the hardware.

That is why there is still a market for SS/20s, Ultra 2's, and other "mature" platforms.

The certifications I am used to ususally included performance commitments, and without testing newer hardware cna not just be dropped in. While the CPU may be faster in the newer machine, the I/O throughput may be lower (cache size, SCSI vs. IDE, memory technolgy, etc.)...

SO, an application "blessed" on an SS/20 will remain on the SS/20 until the development group wants to start over with a new platform (and all (or enough of) the clients will agree to the upgrade).

My previous employer specced out a machine with a *ton* of 2 gig HDs, when 9 Gigs were all the rage,a nd 4 Gigs were common - reason? It was what they had in test environment, and they didn't want to upgrade the specifications and revalidate the system. The development group saw tremendous benefit in having a hand full of controller cards driving lots of spindles, but most clients opted to buy storage arrays ;^).

Ken

<snip>