[SunRescue] Serial Port Help

Mike Hebel rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Mar 21 08:54:23 CST 2001

>>I am unable to get anywhere when attached to my Win2k Laptop.
>>I'm using Hyperterminal, and (per the FAQ) have set it at 9600
>>8N1 with VT100
>>emulation.

This should be OK.  I used Hyperterminal until a copy of PowerTerm 32 came
into my hands from work.  If it worked on the Linux box but not on the
laptop there are a couple of simple things you can check:

1) Make sure the COM port exists in Windows and is enabled in CMOS.  Some
models of system board will not properly disable the port so Windows
Plug&Pray will still find it but it won't work.

2) Make sure your flow control is software or Xon/Xoff.  The IPX won't
respond to a hardware flow control port from my experience.  IIRC it doesn't
have the right pins to do that.

Other than that try using something serial with the port on the laptop.  If
that works then maybe there's something about the wiring.  It may even be
gremlins. ;-)

Mike Hebel