Bus architecture was RE: [SunRescue] Re: NetApps?

Chris Byrne rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Mar 21 02:43:23 CST 2001

At the risk of a "mee too" here, I agree with you entirely. If you have a
lot of cache (on the cards, in the disk, and in the system itself) then you
can do some pretty amazing things with big bursts.

That's one of the reasons I love my IBM U160 UltraStar drives. 4MB of cache
per drive, and enough media transfer rate to use it all. I have six of them
in my JBOD box (6 drives, raid 5, 2 groups, 2 and 1 each group, single
logical volume with veritas volume manager. The joys of working for a
storage company) and man do they scream. Of course it's running in a windows
environment since my raid controller is an adaptec 'nee DPT windows only
card, so it's not seeing it's full potential, but it's still very nice.

Hitachi is bringing out a 72gb 10k rpm FC-AL drive with 16mb of cache per
drive for their really high end storage customers. They were starting to
roll out a model with a little less cache when I left my previous employer,
but they had failures all over the place.

As far as I know it will only be sold for Hitachi Freedom 9000 large scale
storage arrays (a cool 2 million a pop just for starters). Those bad boys
are some serious storage. Each array can have up to 32gb of cache, and 512
disks for a raw capacity of around 37TB. The last company I worked for had
20 of them and was buying more. They eventually planned to have 150.

We did a power study on them, and each box by itself uses the same amount of
power as a small office building if you count the air conditioning required
to cool them (90+ kva and 90+ kw heat when fully loaded). They weigh 4 tons,
and are up to 20 feet long.

They actually had to remove the wall of one of the buildings we installed
in.

Wouldnt you love one of those for your house ;-)

Chris Byrne